Dr. Ray has 20 years of work experience.
He worked for 8 years in the sales and marketing function for leading multi nationals like Fosroc ( a British Petroleum group company) and CMC ltd ( a TATA group company) and the Lichtenstein based Hilti Corporation. He established the $5 billion global construction equipment brand HILTI in Eastern India in the mid nineties.
Dr. Ray has 12 years of teaching experience in subjects related to marketing and sustainability and Corporate Social Responsibility.
He has spoken and/or taught at more than 15 countries
Yale University ( USA), Harvard Business School, Richard Ivey School of Business (Canada), in North America
Audencia Nantes School of Business (France), Hanken School of Economics (Finland), United Nations University ( Netherlands) in Europe
Stellenbosch University ( South Africa), SFX Business School (Peru)
University Brunei Darussalam ( Brunei), Korea University Business School, University of Queensland, University of Western Sydney; Soka University , Sophia University, Reitaku University ( Japan) in Asia
St Petersberg State University, Russia; Higher School of Economics, Russia
In India, he has been a visiting faculty at Indian Institute of Management Calcutta (IIM-C) and IIM- Kashipur among others
Dr. Ray has trained executives from NTPC, Powergrid, metaljunction, JK paper, Infosys, Paradeep Phosphates, Coal India, Axis Bank, SBI, Bosch India, Union Bank etc.
He has received grants and awards from European Union, Duke-NUS, IBM, DFID, IDRC and DAAD among others. He received CSR excellence award at the World CSR Congress held in Mumbai, 2013.
Dr. Ray has published with leading publishers like Springer, John Wiley, Palgrave and Routledge. His co-edited book 'Implementing Corporate Social Responsibility: Indian Perspectives, is published by Springer India in April 2014.
1. Ray, Subhasis. 2016. Integrating sustainability in executive education- An Indian Case Study in Kimakowitz and Lepeley (eds) : Human Centred Management Executive Education: Global Imperatives, Innovation and New Directions. Palgrave Macmillan. Forthcoming
2. Ray, Subhasis & Sarkar, Tapan. 2015. Mainstreaming Sustainability: The Mahindra Way in Lenssen, Rhee and Sktodowska (eds) The Role of Corporate Sustainability in Asian development- A Case Study Handbook in the Automotive and ICT industries. Springer . Forthcoming
3. Ray, Subhasis. 2015. Corporate NGO partnership and CSR implementation in public sector mining companies. in Jamali, Karam & Blowfield (eds) CSR in developing countries: Towards a development oriented approach.. Greenleaf Publishing. UK.
4. Shah, Grishma & Ray, Subhasis. 2014. CSR in Indian public sector:putting people before profit in Lupton, Nate & Pirson, Michael (eds) Humanistic Perspectives in International Business & Management. Palgrave.
5. Ray, Subhasis .2013. “CSR Measurement.” In S.O. Idowu et al. (eds.), Encyclopedia of Corporate Social Responsibility, Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg, Vol 1, pp. 716-721, DOI 10.1007/978-3-642-28036-8,
6. Ray Subhasis. 2013. “Voicing values: marketing perspectives” in Gentile, Mary (ed.) Educating for values driven leadership: Giving Voice to Values Across the Curriculum. Business Expert Press. NY.
7. Ray Subhasis 2013. Niyamgiri- peace and conflict in natural resource based development. IMT Case Journal. Vol. 4(1), July- December.
8. Ray Subhasis..2013. Linking public sector corporate social responsibility with sustainable development: Lessons from India, Revista de Administracao Mackenzie. Vol. 14 (6),2013.
9. Ray Subhasis..2013. “A model for business response to climate change: Indian perspectives’ Vilakshan, XIMB journal of Management.
10. Ray, Subhasis..2012. “Corporate social responsibility, resettlement, rehabilitation and community involvement in India”, Regional Insights 3(1) pp. 15-17.
11. Ray Subhasis. 2012. "Corporate Social Responsibility in Indian public sector mining companies: The case of LCM Limited”, in Bonnani, C, Lepineux F. & Roloff J (ed.) Social Responsibility, Entrepreneurship and the Common Good: International and Interdisciplinary Perspectives Palgrave Macmillan, UK..
12. Ray Subhasis. 2009. "A Case Study of Shell at Sakhalin: Having a ‘whale’ of a time?”. Corporate Social Responsibility and Environmental Management. May- June, 2008. John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. UK..
13. Ray Subhasis.2008. “Marketing to social networks: A New paradigm” in Social Networking: Trends and Experiences. Icfai University Press. India
14. Ray Subhasis.2009. “Sustainable Mine Closure: Rio Tinto’s Kelian Project”. Icfai Journal of Environmental Economics.
15. Ray Subhasis.2006. "Community learning in the Indian Education Sector” In Jonker, J. & Witte de Marco (eds.) Management Models for Corporate Social Responsibility, Springer, Germany.
16. Ray Subhasis. 2005. “A Case Study of BP in Indonesia: The Tangguh Project”. Parallax: Online Journal of Business Ethics and Corporate Governance.UK.
17. Ray Subhasis. 2005. “Urban design: A Case Study of Auroville”: ICFAI Journal of Infrastructure Development.
18. Ray Subhasis.2005. “Business Ethics: Nestle and infant formula in Ray, Subhasis (ed) Cases in Corporate Social Responsibility. ICFAI University Press. India.
19. Ray Subhasis.2005. “Corporate Social Responsibility: BP in Columbia” in Ray, Subhasis (ed) Cases in Corporate Social Responsibility. ICFAI University Press. India
20. Ray Subhasis. “Corporate Social Responsibility: Rio Tinto’s Rossing Project” in Ray, Subhasis (ed) Cases in Corporate Social Responsibility. ICFAI University Press 2005. India.
Books/ Edited Books:
1. Ray Subhasis & Sivaraju. S (ed). Implementing Corporate Social Responsibility: Indian Perspectives. Springer. 2014.
2. Ray Subhasis. “Customer Sales and Service” Vikas Publishing House, India. 2008 (Text Book)- custom text book taught in more than 6 Indian universities
3. Ray Subhasis. ‘Retail Management” (5 chapters). Vikas Publishing House, India. 2008. (Custom text book taught in 6 Indian universities)
4. Ray Subhasis (ed). Cases in Corporate Social Responsibility. ICFAI University Press 2004. India.
Other Academic writing
• Content Development- Indian Institute of Corporate Affairs ( IICA), Ministry of Corporate Affairs, Government of India
• Ray, Subhasis. 2014. All is well that ends well. 1st prize winning case at the UN- PRME sponsored Giving Voice to Values case series available at
http://www.babson.edu/Academics/teaching-research/gvv/Documents/Student/Alls-Well-That-Ends-Well_A_S.pdf. 1st prize winner
• Ray, Subhasis. 2014. Incubating Social Entrepreneurship as part of Corporate Social Responsibility. IDRC Canada /CRDI-Villgro Research paper series
INVITED INTERNATIONAL /NATIONAL TALKS / PRESENTATIONS
•Invited speaker on 'Sustainable Consumption, marketing and social entrepreneurship' GSOM Emerging Market Conference, St. Petersberg University, Russia, October 2015.
Invited Resource Person- UNEP- TERI workshop on Sustainable production and Consumption, September, 2015
Invited Sustainability Researcher, Ahafo gold mine, Newmont Ghana Gold Limited, Ghana, July, 2015
Invited discussant: Harvard Business School- NBS Sustainability Centre Workshop, HBS, Boston, USA. June. 2014.
• International workshop on CSR in Extractive Industries in Developing Areas. ESADE Business School. Spain. 24-26th March. 2014
• National Seminar on Sustainability-Corporate Evolution through Consciousness organized by Institute of Company Secretaries of India ( ICSI) and SAFIM, New Delhi, January 18, 2014.
• Sustainability in Asia, Korea University Business School ( KUBS) and Academy of Business in Society ( ABIS) conference. Seoul. November 29. 2013.
• New market creation, social business incubation and CSR at University of Western Sydney, Australia. December 9, 2013.
• New Indian regulations in CSR and mining: Problems and Prospects at Centre for Social Responsibility in Mining (CSRM), SMI, University of Queensland, Australia. December 5, 2013
• Practical Wisdom in Management, Yale University, USA, 9-10th July, 2013
• ICMM regional Workshop on Mining, Human Rights and Indigenous Communities, Perth, Australia, 27-29th May, 2013.
• Facilitated and moderated a TATA group exercise on CSR strategy for the future, August 4th, Xavier Institute of Management, Bhubaneswar, India. August.2012.
• Invited keynote speaker on ‘CSR regulations in India’ at Research in Organizational Development (RIODD) Conference, Audencia Nantes School of Management, France. 22-23rd May. 2012.
• Invited Discussant, Global Workshop on business school based sustainability centres, Richard Ivey School of Business, Canada. April. 2012
• Invited discussant, National Workshop on Teaching of Ethics and responsible Business, Indian Institute of Management, Bangalore, March, 2012.
• Invited speaker at International Conference on Conscious Capitalism organized by The Conscious Capitalism Institute, Bentley College, (Mumbai, 2010).
• Invited discussant at International Conference on Business Ethics organized by Globethics.net, Switzerland, (Mysore, 2010).
• Invited discussant, Teaching Innovation Programme, Aspen Institute, ( Goa, 2009)
• Bachelor of Civil Engineering, North Bengal University, India. 1995.
• PGDBM (Indian Institute of Management Calcutta), 2000.
• PhD?, Osmania University, Hyderabad, India, 2011.
Certificate course in IT business development: CISCO Systems, 2002
• Certificate course in IT business development: IBM, 2003
• Certificate course in Corporate Social Responsibility- The World Bank Institute- 2003
• Case Teaching Workshop : Prof. Kamaran Kashani, IMD, 2005
• Retail Operations Workshop: 2007
• Training on online teaching through BLACKBOARD, University of Liverpool, UK. March 2010.
• Online and onsite training on Sustainability Evaluation, Vienna University of Business & Economics, April- July , 2010 and October, 2010.
• Global Sustainability Summer School, IBM and University Brunei Darussalam, 18-31 July, 2011
• EXCEED summer school on global warming and sustainable water management, Tu- Braunscweig, Germany, 16-22 November, 2011.
• DUKE-NUS workshop in System Dynamics, Singapore, February, 2012.
• 6 month online course on Mining and CSR in Latin America by GRADE, Peru (June – November 2012)
• Coursera online course on ‘New Models of Business in Society’ by Prof. Edward Freeman, University of Virginia, USA (September- October 2013)